Back To Research
Digital Youth Network has developed a framework that connects badges to a set of learning experiences, with an end goal of better supporting interest driven learning in a social community to create richer and more concrete paths to discovery. Badges have the potential to radically shift how learning experiences are achieved, shared, and recognized.
We believe badges can:
- Allow individuals to receive recognition for skills and achievements gained
- Signal mastery of specific skills or roles
- Provide bridges between informal learning opportunities and formal environments
- Increase the visibility of potential pathways for learning and exploring new skills and interests
- Provide the motivation to explore with a new degree of interest and confidence
- Become more meaningful over time, as learners combine badges to build
- A portfolio that represents who they are and what they can do
The DYN framework builds on four types of badges:
- Knowledge – Knowledge badges convey that the learner has understood and integrated a specific and important body of information in meaningful and lasting ways.
- Skill – Skill badges provide the learners with indicators of developing competencies and broaden their understanding of their capabilities and accomplishments.
- Community – Community badges recognize behaviors and attributes that are valued by the community and reinforce social norms and practices.
- Showcase – Showcase badges highlight a learner’s efforts to share their progress and skills to valued audiences, promoting a sense of pride, ownership and identity.